Gentoo MythTV

22. 08. 08

problems…

Filed under: configuration — Tags: , , , , , , — niko86 @ 18:18

after compiling gcc and glibc, i just found out that apparently i386 is not supported anymore. XX
this is interesting, because every packet seemed to be ok with i386 chost, only glibc complained..
it might be useful to tell people that they are using a deprecated chost before they compile packets for hours….
however, i changed the chost to i586 and started recompiling binutils, gcc and glibc.
just follow this guide:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/change-chost.xml
i am quite happy that i documented every little pitfall there is when installing gentoo on via c3 ezra cpus….
if i have to reinstall some time it will be usefull.

as promised here is the kernel config for the epia m9000 board with everything enabled what this board supports.
Download

update:
after several hours of compiling, i decided to do a fresh install, which did not solve the problem as you can read in the next post.

Advertisements

getting my hands dirty!

Filed under: configuration — Tags: , , , , , , , , — niko86 @ 1:01

after several hours of trying different myth distributions and livecds, i got to the point where i just put the gentoo minimal install cd into the drive and start compiling away.

unfortunately the c3 i got on the m9000 board is an older one which labels itself as i686 but is missing the cmov instruction.
that’s why most of the distributions won’t work because they can’t tell that it is in fact an i586 processor and is lacking the cmov instruction.
so all you get are some nasty segfaults…

so got back to good’ol gentoo:
this is what i used for CHOST and CFLAGS:


CHOST="i386-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-mtune=i586 -march=c3 -m3dnow -mmmx -Os -pipe \
-fomit-frame-pointer

just specified mtune as well because some people reported about some nasty errors where the compiler looked for the mtune or the deprecated mcpu flag, didn’t find it and just assumed an i686 which resulted in…. you guessed it: segfaults

i will put the kernel config for the ezra c3 m9000 board online later so if someone comes here while searching for this it will save them alot of time….

it actually was not that easy to find out that the older ezra / samuel c3’s do not support cmov instructions but the nemehia and newer c3’s do so.
the fact that a sticker on my board said “nemehia” did not make it any easier.

another conclusion i’ve come to is that the morex cubid 2600 is not a particularly good case when it comes to cooling and air circulation.
it has some air intakes on both sides and two 40x40mm fans sucking air out behind the harddrive mount, but the mounting bracket for the pci card and the slot for the slim drive in combination with the IDE cables are doing a good job of preventing some good airflow.
after some hours of compiling, i measured 70°C CPU and 50°C Harddrive Temperature, the Northbridge was too hot to touch and so was the RAM.

So i quickly “engineered” a new cover for the case out of some cardboard, did a 120x120mm cut out and put a nice 120mm fan in it.
“mounted” the cardboard cover instead of the original case cover and now i got some good airflow, i also did disable the 2 40×40 fans to stop the noise they where making.

well, im right at compiling the basic needs of the system and all i can say is: roughly 1ghz and a tiny Cache are not exactly speeding up the process of compiling.
it takes ages to compile….

hopefully this baby will be capable of being a nice frontend….

Blog at WordPress.com.